Kelly's Directory of the North and East Ridings of Yorkshire: 1913
BUBWITH is a parish, township and large village, with two stations on the Selby and Market Weighton section of the North Eastern railway and is 6½ miles north-west from Howden, 14 south-east from York, and from Selby, 6¼ by rail, 7½ by road north east; in the Howdenshire division of the Riding, liberty of St. Peter, Holme Beacon division of Harthill Wapentake, Howdenshire petty sessional division, Howden Union, and county court district, rural deanery of Weighton, archdeaconry of the East Riding and diocese of York. Bubwith is situate upon the east bank of the river Derwent and has a spacious wharf. In 1798 a bridge of 10 arches was built over the Derwent, at an outlay of about £2,000, and connects this place with the township of North Duffield, on the high road to Selby. The old Bubwith railway station is a quarter of a mile from the village, and the Highfield station half a mile east. The church of All Saints a building of stone standing on an eminence, consists of a chancel, nave, aisles and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing 3 bells: the earliest work in the church is late Norman, dating from about 1170: there are mural monuments and funeral helmets belonging to the Vavasour family: the church was thoroughly restored in 1894 and 1895 at a cost of over £2000, and affords 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1623. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £244, including 59 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and the Dean and Chapter of York, alternately, and held since 1907 by the Rev. Thomas Freer Minshull, B. A., of St. Edmund Hall, Oxford. There is a Wesleyan chapel built in 1796 and enlarged in 1870, and a Primitive Methodist chapel, erected in 1862; there are several charities. Nicholas de Bubwith, Bishop of Bath and Wells, (1408-25) was born near here. Mrs. Amy Mary J. Harford, of Holme Hall, is Lady of the manor; the principal landowners are Joseph John Dunnington-Jefferson esq. of Thickett Priory, York, Charles Weddall esq. of Carlton, near Selby, Mrs. Wilkinson, of Howden Hall, Eric de S. S. Rudd, esq. J.P. of Knedlington Manor, and Robert Chaplin esq. The soil is good, consisting partly of sand and partly of clay; the subsoil is clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and potatoes. The area of the township is 1,543 acres of land, 2 of water and 5 of tidal water; rateable value, £2,676 the population in 1911 was 460 in the township and 1,014 in the parish.
Post, MO & T Office. - Miss Nellie Etherington, sub-postmistress. Letters are received through Selby at 7.15 a.m.; dispatched at 10.40 a.m. & 5.45 p.m. On sundays there is no delivery or dispatch; on Sundays telegraph office open from 8.30a.m. till 10 a.m.; week days, office open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Wall Letter Box, Highfield, cleared at 8.45 a.m. & 5.35 p.m. week days only.
Public Elementary School, Bubwith, erected in 1877, for 150 children; average attendance, 118; Edward Noble, Master; Miss V. R. Hunsley, infants' mistress.
Constable, Harold Dalton.
Bubwith, George Edward Wood, station master
Highfield, James Wray, station master
BREIGHTON-CUM-GUNBY is a township and village on the east bank of the Derwent in Bubwith parish, 5 miles north-west of Howden, and 1 mile south from Bubwith station. Here is a Wesleyan chapel built in 1864. The soil is generally light; subsoil clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and potatoes. Henry Liversidge esq. of Sherburn-in-Elmet, William Liversidge esq. J.P. of Selby, and Thomas Liversidge esq. of Selby, in the West Riding, are the lords of the manor, and owners of the entire township with the exception of one very small moiety. The area is 1,744 acres of land, 2 of water, 5 of tidal water and 2 of foreshore; rateable value £1,772; the population in 1911 was 135.
Letters through Howden by foot post arrive about 8.45 a.m. week days only. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Bubwith, 1 mile distant.
Wall Letter Box cleared at 3.40 p.m.; no collection on sundays.
Gunby and Foggathorpe (then called Fulcathorpe) were presented by William the Norman to Gilbert Tison, his standard bearer, who took the name of De Guneby, and whose posterity lived here for many generations; it is now in the possession of Mr. Thomas Nutt.
Letters for Gunby, through Selby, via Bubwith, arrive at 7.15 a. m. Bubwith is the nearest money order & telegraph office, about 1 mile distant.
FOGGATHORPE is a village and township, with station on the Selby and Market Weighton branch railway, in the parish of Bubwith, from which village it is 3 miles east, 7 north from Howden, and 10 east from Selby. Here is a chapel for the Wesleyans. Bricks and drain pipes are manufactured here. Clement Blackburn, esq., who is lord of the manor, Mr. William Townsley, the trustees of the late T. Hepton esq, the trustees of the late Thomas Blossom Oliver esq. of Spaldington, and E. de S. S. Rudd esq. J.P. are the principal landowners. The soil is stiff; subsoil clay. The chief crops are wheat, beans and oats. The acreage is 1,323; rateable value, £1,192; the population in 1911 was 128.
Post Office. - Mrs. Clara Barker, sub-postmistress. Letters through Selby arrive at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m. week days only; no Sunday delivery of letters. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Bubwith, 3 miles distant.
Public Elementary School, erected in 1909, for 65 children; average attendance, 43; Miss Ada Eldon, mistress.
Railway Station, Charles A. Huggins, station master.
GRIBTHORPE is a township in the parish of and 4 miles east from Bubwith, distant 5½ miles north from Howden, and 2 south from Foggathorpe station. Lord Leconfield is lord of the manor and sole landowner, with the exception of 24 acres, which belong to C. Blackburn esq. The soil is strong clay; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, beans and barley. The area is 900 acres of land and 2 of water; rateable value, £614; the population in 1911 was 31.
Letters through Howden by foot post, daily, except sundays. The nearest money order offices are at Bubwith and Howden. Bubwith is the nearest telegraph office, about 4 miles distant.
HARLTHORPE is a township of Bubwith, 1½ miles east and 8 south from Howden [this should be north!], on the road from Selby to Market Weighton. Mrs. Amy Mary J. Hartford, of Holme Hall, is lady of the manor. J. J. Dunnington Jefferson esq. J.P. and Robert Parker esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is strong clay; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and beans. The area is 759 acres; rateable value, £576; the population in 1911 was 54.
Letters through Selby, delivered from Bubwith, arrive about 8 a.m. The nearest posting box is at Foggathorpe & money order & telegraph office is at Bubwith, 1½ miles distant.
SPALDINGTON is a village and township, 4½ miles south-east of Bubwith, on the road to Howden, from which it is 4 miles north. The remains of a chapel, which formerly stood here, are still traceable. The Earl of Londesborough K.C.V.O. is lord of the manor, and the trustees of the late T. B. Oliver esq. are the chief landowners. The chief crops are wheat, oats, beans, and potatoes. The soil is part sand and part clay; subsoil, clay. The area is 3,538 acres of land and 6 of water; rateable value, £2,210; the population in 1911 was 214.
Spaldington Outsides is 1 mile east.
Post Office. - Uriah Swinden, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive by foot post from Howden at 7.35 a.m.; dispatched at 5.15 p.m. except Sundays. The nearest money order & telegraph offices are at Bubwith & Howden, 5 miles distant.
Pillar Letter Box, Howden road, cleared at 5.35 p.m. week days only.
Public Elementary School, Spaldington, originally a chapel and converted into a school in 1876; it will hold 90 children; average attendance, 47; Harry Brown, master; Miss Evelyn M. Wright, mistress.
Carrier to Howden. - U. Swinden, on sat.
WILLITOFT is a township in Bubwith parish, 1 mile west from Gribthorpe, and 3 miles south-east from Bubwith: it was once the residence of the Vavasour family. There was formerly a chapel here. Here is a small Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1894. The trustees of the late T. B. Oliver esq. of Spaldington, are lords of the manor and sole landowners. The area is 873 acres; rateable value £713; and the population in 1911 was 56.
Letters through Howden by foot post, daily, except Sundays, arrive about 8.30 a.m. Wall Letter Box cleared at 4.45 p.m. week days only. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Bubwith, 2 miles distant.
Fordham William John
Minshull Rev. Thomas Freer M.A. (vicar). The Vicarage.
Pratt James, The Mulberries
Walker Harry, Derwent house
Aske Bertie, linen draper
Aske Robert, joiner & wheelwright
Blenkhorn William, farmer, Chain & Mill farms
Boyes Thomas, farmer
Blunsom William John, butcher
Broader Ann (Mrs.), confectioner
Brown Sargeant, coal dealer
Brownbridge John, farmer
Bubwith Reading Room (Bertie Aske, hon. sec.)
Dawson Thos. W. Queen's Arms P.H.
Dunn John, plumber & glazier
Elton John & Son, watch & clock mas.
Elton Thomas, coal dlr. & cycle agent
Etherington Nellie & Maud (Misses), stationers
Fordham William John M.R.C.S. Eng., L.R.C.P.Lond. physician & surgeon, & medical officer & public vaccinator Bubwith district, Howden Union & Riccall district, Selby union
Gott David, farmer
Gowland Thomas, New Inn
Green Thomas, huckster
Harrison Edward William, draper
Harrison Walter, Cross Keys P.H. Highfield
Hatfield George Ernest, tailor
Hatfield Robert, confr. & insur. Agent
Holdridge Robt. Edwin, farmer Highfield
London Joint Stock Bank Limited (sub-branch) (W. Y. Rumfitt, manager), open thurs. 12 to 2.30 p.m.; draw on head-office, 5 Princes street, London E.C.
Macintosh Albert H. White Swan P.H.
Maltby Thomas, grocer
Markham John, blacksmith
Markham William, cycle agent
Newby James D. assistant overseer & insurance agent
Pratt Jabez Thos. Butcher & cattle dlr
Salt Joseph, saddler
Shaw George, poultry farmer, Highfield
Smith Joseph, bricklayer
Smith Reginald William Halifax, farmer & horse breeder (hackneys & shires), The Grange
Smith Robert, farmer, Highfield
Stott Richard, boot & shoe maker
Turner John, cowkeeper
Turner Nellie (Miss), dress maker
Wetherell John, grocer
Whitaker Charles, grocer
Askham Lawrence, farmer
Bolton William Robert, farmer
Haith Geo. Robt. Frmr. Waterloo frm
Howden Richard, cowkeeper
Howden Tomlinson, blacksmith
Jackson Walter, Half Moon P.H.
Nutt Geo. Robinson, farmer, Gunby
Robinson Donald, farmer
Saunders Charles, gamekeeper to C. I. C. Rishworth esq.
Ward Jesse, joiner
Waud George, farmer
Wray Joseph Eland, farmer, Manor ho.
Alden Annie (Mrs.), grocer & draper
Alden Geo. Hy. Coach bldr & Smith
Askham Geo. Farmer, Foggathorpe ho.
Barker Clara (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Brown Elizabeth (Mrs.), cowkeeper
Denness Thomas, farmer
Giles Thomas Wm. Black Swan P.H.
Heptonstall John, farmer, Bell farm
Heptonstall William, farmer, Foggathorpe manor
Johnson John Charles, farmer
Popple Walter, painter
Readman William, blacksmith
Townsley William & Thomas, brick, tile & drain pipe manufacturers
Townsley Thomas, farmer
Ward James, farmer, Foggathorpe hall
Hill John Thomas, farmer, Manor ho.
Jenkinson Edward, farmer
Batty Levi, farmer, Poplar farm
Breighton Fred, boot & shoe maker
Glew Mary Constance (Mrs.), farmer
Gowthorpe John Thomas, farmer
Harrison Thos. farmer, Manor farm
Ripley Thomas, farmer, East End ho.
Oliver Mrs. Mary, The Hall
Atkinson Emma (Mrs.), farmer
Brigham Benjamin, farmer
Clarke John & Thomas, farmers
Easterby Wm. frmr. Mount Pleasant
Ellwood Thomas, blacksmith
Hatfield Thomas, frmr. Old Hall farm
Hawcroft Thomas, farmer, Sykes farm
Holmes William, farmer, Ivy house
Keniwell John, farmer
Loftus Richard, Plough P.H.
Moore Seth, wheelwright
Moverley Thomas, farmer
Oliver William, farmer, Moore's farm
Purdon George, farmer
Rhodes Greenwood, farmer
Sergison Thos. frmr. Warham farm
Swinden Uriah, shopkeeper & carrier, Post Office
Vickers John, farmer, Villa farm
Wiles John, farmer, Cotage farm
Wiles Jas. Gildon, frmr. Fir Tree ho.
Evers Henry, Willitoft hall
Harrison John, farm bailiff to Henry Evers esq. Prospect farm & Willitoft Hall farm
Moate Thomas, farmer, Elder farm